Jun 28, 2009

A Touch Of Evil


I will never forget seeing Rob Halford on the defense stand. MTV covered the controversial case everyday during its duration. Rob looked so sad up there on the stand. He looked confused, like "Why am I here? Why am I being blamed for this?" You probably remember this scandal. Judas Priest was sued for having subliminal messages in one of their songs which encouraged 2 teen boys to kill themselves (one of them did, the 2nd died a few years later). When they played those tapes with the supposed evil message, I couldn't believe it. I didn't hear a thing. I don't see how anyone could hear a thing. Not only that but the evil message was supposedly, "Do it." Ummm, do what? Even if that message DID exist it could refer to pretty much anything couldn't it?

This ordeal and several others going on at the time remind us just how scared people were of heavy metal back then. People outside of it were terrified and were certain their children were being whisked away to hell. I know all this really impacted my teen years and made them hell for me! My very Christian family was certain I was becoming a direct channel of satanic communication through my beloved music. I'm sure others of you can relate.

Now when I think about that Judas Priest trial I cannot even believe it happened. It all seems so silly now doesn't it? I wonder if the people involved in these accusations feel just a little ridiculous looking back on it. I dont' believe the whole subliminal message thing would ever get to court now. On the other hand, "moral superiors" have always been at war with music. Elvis, the Beatles, they were the evils of their era. It was metal in the 80's and rap in the 90's. There always has to be a scapegoat for moral backsliding. What shocks me is the length some people will go to to create their story. I mean, subliminal messages saying "Do it"?? It makes me wonder what will be next. I hear video games are pretty evil these days.

Why must we have this concept of "evil" anyway? I think because western society is based on an "us verses them" mentality. This is the very essence of western religion. Evil exists and it is our duty to be saved from it and to rid the filthy world of it. When I heard the recent story of the boy being expelled from his Christian school because he attended a dance, I was reminded that humanity hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. They are still pointing their pious little fingers at music and they probably always will, even though in hindsight they will all look pretty darn silly.

0 comments: