Jul 17, 2009

The Depths of Pain


Music is one of the methods by which one can express an incredible range of emotions. One of those is sadness and pain.

Having recently been through a breakup, I've been using music to help me through the rollercoaster of emotions. From sadness to anger, it's all there. I'm sure there are people who get through things using other methods, but for me music is the best expression. Since I'm not a musician I have to find the bands and singers who say the words for me.


Metal music covers every emotion imaginable. For sadness, one of the best expressions is found in "November Rain" by Guns 'n' Roses. Slash's screaming guitar solo is a heartbreaking cry of anguish. Axl's lyrics express pain and loss. I've been listening to this song to help me process the grief.

Anger is covered by numerous bands. Metallica's album "Kill 'Em All" is pure anger. The aggression and fury pouring from both the music and lyrics is cathartic. Static-X and WASP also bring the fury. Loud volume is a requirement when listening to these songs.

There's even hope to be found in some music. Nobody brings the party like AC/DC. It's impossible to feel sad when listening to something like "Back in Black" or "Let There Be Rock". "Back in Black" in particular has the up-yours attitude that focuses on life rather than death. Metaphorically it speaks to me as affirming survival through loss.

Judas Priest in particular covers the entire range of emotions. From the hopeful "Heading Out to the Highway" to the sadness of their cover of "Diamonds and Rust", they've got it all.

Once again, I'm saved by metal.

0 comments: